Law Offices of Jason Benjamin Call us today at (425) 786-9279
Bellevue & King County Child Custody Attorney Attorney Profile Practice Areas Client Testimonials Contact Us
Child Custody Lawyer
Find out the proper actions to take in your custody matter Click here to connect to our office instantly over the phone Have an emergency? Find out how our firm can help you

Legal Separation

Here are the answers to the most commonly asked question concerning legal separation. If you have questions or concerns regarding your particular situation, we would be glad to speak with you @ (425) 786-9279.

Q: If I or my spouse file for legal separation how does it differ from a divorce?
A: 1: A legal separation and a divorce are very similar. In both cases the court divides all the property and debt. If the parties have children, the court orders child support and enters a parenting plan which determines custody and visitation. The main difference between a divorce and a legal separation is in a legal separation the spouses remain legally married. Once a decree of legal separation is entered, either party may convert it to a divorce but there is a six month waiting period. If the decree of legal separation has not yet been entered, then ninety days must pass before the divorce decree may be entered.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Law Offices of Jason Benjamin
Located at 10655 NE 4th Street, Ste 208, Bellevue, WA 98004.
Phone: (425) 786-9279.
Website: .